CMS Issues Proposed Rule that Prohibits Discrimination, Reduces Hospital-Acquired Conditions, and Promotes Antibiotic Stewardship in Hospitals
Today, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) announced that it is proposing to update the requirements that hospitals and critical access hospitals (CAHs) must meet to participate in Medicare and Medicaid. The proposed changes to the requirements, formally called the Conditions of Participation, would modernize and revise the requirements to reflect current standards of practice and support improvements in quality of care by:
- Reducing readmissions;
- Reducing barriers to care;
- Reducing the incidence of hospital-acquired conditions (including healthcare-associated infections);
- Improving the use of antibiotics (including the potential for reduced antibiotic resistance);
- Addressing workforce shortage issues; and
- Improving patient protections.
For more information, please visit: https://www.federalregister.gov/public-inspection. There is a 60 day comment period on the proposed rule.